On the first Friday and Saturday of June, the people of Manotick congregate in the heart of Manotick around Dickinson Square to celebrate Dickinson Days. The festival is named after Moss Kent Dickinson, who operated Watson’s Mill and was responsible for founding Manotick. This spring festival, organized by local organizations such as the Kiwanis Club, the BIA, and Watson’s Mill, usually includes activities such as a parade, pancake breakfast, arts and crafts sales, wagon rides, music, dance and drama performances. The celebration coincides with “Pioneer Days”, organized by the staff and volunteers of Watson’s Mill.
Dickinson Days usually coincides with Doors Open Ottawa, where many local buildings, such as churches and government buildings, are open to the public for one day a year.
Watson’s Mill is Manotick’s most recognized landmark. Its image is used as a symbol for the village. It is the only working museum in the Ottawa area and one of very few operating industrial grist mills in North America. Indeed, Watson’s Mill still sells stone-ground whole wheat flour which is made on site.
The mill is also well known for its ghost story. The legend is that Ann Currier, wife of Joseph Currier, haunts the mill, following her death in a tragic accident there in 1861.
Watson’s Mill is open to the public during the summer months and hosts a variety of events, including milling demonstrations every Sunday.
Manotick Public School – The only public elementary school in Manotick, teaches kindergarten to grade 5 in English and French
St. Leonard Catholic School – Teaches over 500 kindergarten, primary and junior students in English and French.
St Mark Cathloic High School – Teaches grades 7-8 and 9-12 in English and French
South Carleton High School – Teaches over 1300 grade 9-12 students, located in Richmond. It is the primary public high school for the region.